Ask in Cardiff - bake with aubergine instead of pasta


ASK Italian, 24/32 Wyndham Arcade, Mill Lane, Cardiff CF10 1FJ

I haven’t been to an ASK restaurant for a while, so I thought I would try lunch while staying in Cardiff for the week. Décor is consistent, of course, and the menu is available in all their outlets so I wasn’t sure if there was anything new to try.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with the Melanz Parmigiana special, like a dish-baked lasagna with creamy, cheesy and tomato sauce but between slices of aubergine rather than pasta. It looked good served straight from the oven in a cast-iron dish, hot bubbling sauce smelling delicious, alongside a small salad bowl, both standing on a wooden board. Although the salad was very basic, with no dressing, it was all perfect with a glass of crisp, white Trebbiano wine.

No pasta or bread, so there was clearly still a little bit of room left for a dessert. How to choose which one from such an interesting, though limited, menu…the young waiter was very helpful and agreed that the pistachio cake was definitely his favourite, especially served with a scoop of ice cream. Absolutely true, it is a lovely light, moist cake that is very tasty.

I would choose these dishes again, and we will make a point of visiting ASK again in the future.

£16.50 for 2 courses and 3.95 for 175ml glass of wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seashells Resort at Suncrest, Qawra Malta

Great value Plat du Jour in the centre of Nice

Tafarn Sinc the corrugated iron pub